The values noted below encompass the tradition of St. James and continue to provide us with a sense of the identity of our community. Most of these values have been explicitly cherished for many years. We believe that these ten points are a good summary of who we are, or at least who we hope to become. While not a complete or perfect summary, the Pastors, Wardens and Parish Council have agreed that this statement is our working document.
As we live out these foundational values, we can be a healthy church, able to share the good news of Jesus in word and deed, out of God’s love for all people.
- We highly value the revelation and authority of God expressed in Holy Scripture, as the basis of our community life. The historic creeds summarize our core beliefs.
- We desire to live out our theology in practical ways that reveal and demonstrate the historic Christian faith. We desire to enable ourselves and others to:
- Receive the Father’s Love, and the Spirit’s empowering.
- Experience the joy of repentance and forgiveness.
- Make an initial and ongoing commitment to follow Jesus.
- Know the privilege and power of prayer.
- Seek God’s will for the wholeness of body, soul, and spirit.
- Live lives of holiness.
- Be aware of and engage in the spiritual battle.
- Serve God through his church and in his world.
- The work of the Holy Spirit is central to our community life.
- Liturgy, sacrament and praise are key elements of our corporate worship.
- Everyone has a place to serve and to minister in the community (as well as beyond).
- We are a church that values small group fellowship and ministries.
- We believe that growing Christians need to engage in spiritual formation and discipleship.
- We believe in the importance of welcoming & integrating all into the community.
- We value mentoring others in the faith.
- We believe in healthy and open relationships that work towards unity in the community.